Ask a leader food storage questions here

Discussions about Food Storage
Adagio
Canada

Re: Ask a leader food storage questions here

Post by Adagio » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:03 pm

eastcoastprepper wrote:Do you mean on the outside of the mylar bag, or on the inside?

Will the mylar bag damage my foodsaver unit?
Last time I tried, it melted mylar all over the inside of the foodsaver.
:)

You need to put it on the inside of the mylar bag. Put part of it into the bag and leave a good 1 or 2 inches sticking out of the bag. As far as damaging your foodsaver unit i have never had a problem with melting. My unit shuts off automatically. However, if you are sealing powders (flour, cornstarch, sugar etc.) you do need to first put these into an ziplock or an unsealed foodsaver bag prior to sealing. Otherwise your powders will be sucked up into the unit and this can clog and potentially damage your unit.

sendittorob
Canada

Post by sendittorob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi I am new at this need a little help with some food storage ideas I have some canned food and pastas stored up already but I am having trouble figuring out the quantity and what others
Kinds of food I should stock. Because I have a useable pantry .
And also I am debating if I should stockpile mres and if so
What kind and from were would you suggest. Thanks for the help.

term0shad
Canada

Post by term0shad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:04 am

Lard is best bet to store fot cooking oil . Also best to boiling water and then dry out container and well warm still put in your stuff. Just make sure moisture is out.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:02 am

sendittorob wrote:Hi I am new at this need a little help with some food storage ideas I have some canned food and pastas stored up already but I am having trouble figuring out the quantity and what others
Hi and welcome to IPN!!

I wouldn't consider myself a food storage expert, but am willing to share my $0.02 and maybe this will inspire you a bit.

I'll start with MREs. Those are very expensive to acquire in the grand scheme of things. Most people will use a simple approach of $ vs Calories when it comes to food storage and MREs are likely at the far end of the scale. They offer convenience but not everyone like the taste and they don't keep nearly as long as people think, and still need to be stored in climate controlled environment for best storage. You'll hear people saying they hate rations from WW2 and are fine. Ok, but some people also eat glass and other weird things and I'm not about to follow their exploits...

Cans and dried goods offer likely the best bang for bucks, especially if bought in bulk. I'm assuming here that you've already started with a good 3 months worth of rolling stocks in your pantry. Otherwise, this should be your near term goals.

After that, consider getting some mylar bags, oxygen absorbers and 5 gal pails. DYI food storage is the cheapest way and you can achieve 20+ yr of storage that you can stash away and practically forget about. Pasta, legume, beans, flour, dried milk, rice. Bought in bulk, this is very economical approach to food storage. You can even organize your buckets as "ready to go" with an ensemble of foodstuff in each buckets.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:48 pm

I'll also chime in on the MRE thing...
I have a couple cases (less a few I've eaten).
As mentioned, they can be quite expensive I think around $130.00 for a case of 12 plus shipping.
They have a 5 year shelf life and I wish you luck trying to figure out the date codes...confusing at best.
I find most that I have tried to be acceptably tasty...note acceptably. On that note, the instant coffee included in them is the best instant coffee I have ever tasted...please take note that it is still instant coffee!
Convenience is a plus...utensils, napkin, and a heater pack that you add a little water to activate.
They are not a major part of my food storage plan though...I keep a few in my radio bag, a few in my get home bag, and I like to bring one to day meets for people to see.
If you're still interested try this link
http://m.mealkitsupply.com/canada-mre-products/

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pm

sendittorob wrote:Hi I am new at this need a little help with some food storage ideas I have some canned food and pastas stored up already but I am having trouble figuring out the quantity and what others
So I'll add my 2 cents to the matter also. :)

1)Take a good read through the sections on food here in IPN. There is a wealth of information on this forum about a range of food to store, nutrition, etc. Its not something you'll pick up over night...but will take a while. So dont rush it and just read a lot. The idea of saving with mylar and O2 is a great idea and inexpensive, but again...take a look at what lasts long term and the variety of food you need to store to get proper nutrition. There are a tonne of threads on the food forum that will give you good ideas on what to store to ensure you get the calories and nutrients (and fibre...) you need. If you have specific questions on this ask away...but the topic is so broad and widespread its tough to answer this in one response.

2)Not sure of your location...but here is a link to the LDS Food Storage Centers. They sell inexpensive product already canned with O2 Absorbers. They offer products that last +30 years in storage and cover most of the nutritional requirements we need. Scroll down to the bottom for Canadian locations, set up a time to go in and purchase what you need. https://providentliving.lds.org/self-re ... s?lang=eng They sell to people outside of LDS, are not "preachy" and very friendly.

3)Like helicopilot I share his thoughts on MRE's. Expensive, and dont last long. If your looking for a good compact source of food, prepackaged to last +30 years for a reasonable price, check out some of these:

https://www.costco.ca/emergency-food-kits.html

https://www.rapidsurvival.com/product-c ... ival-food/

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... od+buckets

I like the food bucket concept because they are compact, contain all your requirements for food in one bucket and easily picked up and thrown in the truck if you have to bug out.

If you have any specific questions please ask away. I'd be happy to help out where I can.
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Has anyone out there ever tried drying Blackberries? I have a bumper crop this year, as well as having free reign on my next door neighbour's half acre berry plot. I've made jam, but my freezer is still loaded, with more berries coming every day. HELP, please.

Adagio
Canada

Post by Adagio » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:10 pm

I've done blackberries and they turn out great. They take longer than most berries because of all the little clusters You can blanch them first for about 10 to 20 seconds in boiling water and then immediately put them in cold (ice water) to stop the cooking process. This will speed up the drying process but I prefer not to do this and just dehydrate them longer. Dehydrate at 130 or 140 for 12 to 18 hours (It depends on their size).if they are really big ones it may take even longer. But I've never had to go longer than 18.

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Thank you Adagio for the great advice. I have 4 trays of blackberries drying right now. Most of them are humongous! They will take some time to dry, but I am patient. There will be more coming, as they seem to like our hot days and cool nights.

kootenay kid
Canada

Post by kootenay kid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Blackberries turned out awsome!!!!! They didtake close to 48 hours to dry as some were soooo big.

Return to “Food Storage”