Quality of life during the Pandemic.

Post general discussions here
peppercorn

Quality of life during the Pandemic.

Post by peppercorn »

For myself, big increase. Don't have huge bills to pay every month so my life economically is without significant pressure. Now that the weather has been nice and I am getting out on my bike again, I just love the roads, no traffic to speak of. I am noticing lots of people out on horse back in the evenings, people out in there yards playing catch with their kids, out walking the dogs, people with the time now to wave me over to ask about my bike. I cant be the only one enjoying this?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
SetiCruncher
Canada

Re: Quality of life during the Pandemic.

Post by SetiCruncher »

No Change in Quality of personal life here. Financially, bringing home more money, thanks to temporarily COVID Pay increases.

Still working on the front lines, so Professionally Quality of life has deteriorated. Busier then ever before, increased work load with far fewer staff. Higher Stress Levels. I'll be happy when all this silliness blows over and return to what ever we're going to call normal after.

Work aside, not much of a difference in life other then keeping extended family at a distance so I don't accidental expose them to anything I may pick up at work.

Overall, so far so good :)
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Pretty much unchanged here. Mrs HP and I are both “essential services”. Thought we have somewhat curtailed hours, that extra time has been turned into homeschooling. We do spend a bit more time together as a family (+), have fewer expenses (+), but added stresses with our investments tanking (-), disease precautions (-) and isolation(-).

That pretty much balances out.
Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence »

Probably more relaxed then I have been in decades, wife’s working from home now so that’s a great stress reduction. Financially ok, less car costs, like peppercorn, enjoying the reduction in car traffic and related noise. Did spend a lot of new money in Jan and early feb topping things up but it’s all going to be consumed so zero waste.

Learning g to be more frugal so that’s good, lost some weight as well so a bonus. Doing the garden I wanted to do for years but
Procrastinated on, will help on a number of fronts. Diet and more exercise.

Now, the future may not be so rosy. If as I suspect, things take a real downward push, the peace will turn to into ugliness on various levels and that will not be so much fun.

Be well
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown »

Disruptive in working from home and selectively going into the office. Its tough to get into a rythem.

It has freed up a significant amount of time though. Physical fitness training has almost doubled as "something to do." Unfortunately pools are closed which is a major kick in the rear. It has also freed up a tonne of cash. The realization there is no place to spend money on frivolous items or restaurants or entertainment has hit home.

Though its tough on the family with less to do, and socialization with friends and relatives can't happen....it has given us a chance to spend more time as a family. I think in today's age of chauffeuring kids to extra curriculars, working parents, etc...its nice to have a lot more down time and quality time together.

There are some definite benefits to quality of life. However there is the inevitable cabin fever, and lack of adventure that starts to eat away at you.
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738
Nagol
Canada

Post by Nagol »

We’re really enjoying it actually. More family time, much less stress, catching up on projects.
We’ve reduced costs, but to be fair we had started working on that before covid.
Even when/ if things go back to “normal”, we’ve decided to make some permanent changes to our lives.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

I am thinking a lot of people are finding some up side to having time off. last week I had to go to the big city a couple times, I noticed more cyclists out. What first caught my eye was they seemed to have shinny new bikes. Then when I was shopping I noticed every store I went in, at CT and Wally mart, all the adult size bikes were sold out, I mean completely out, only small framed kids bikes in stock.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Further to my post on seeing the bike departments empty of bikes. I have not seen a news article on the subject in Canada, but see this one from the UK. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52564351 I think the same is happening here. With much of the cars/trucks off the road it has become a great time to be out on a bike. With the trucks and cars gone the best cycling lanes ever have appeared.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Well I am a little sad, I was expecting a full 3 month shut down as was first claimed to be the answer. I think its only been 7 weeks and now have been receiving texts and email from the businesses opening up this week. I frankly would have no problem if this shut had down continued 4, 6, 8 months, don't much matter to me. I used the dogs clippers for a hair cut the other day, I am ok with the results, its not pretty but it works. I am really going to miss having the roads to my self for cycling, you have know idea how peaceful it was going for a evening ride, and the air quality was so much better, or so I thought. I really don't think this opening up is a great idea, I suspect we may do somewhat ok though the heat of the summer, but I suspect another bad wave of it come the cooler temps of fall. Oh well, such is life I will roll with whatever comes.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

peppercorn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:09 am Well I am a little sad, I was expecting a full 3 month shut down as was first claimed to be the answer. I think its only been 7 weeks and now have been receiving texts and email from the businesses opening up this week. I frankly would have no problem if this shut had down continued 4, 6, 8 months, don't much matter to me. I used the dogs clippers for a hair cut the other day, I am ok with the results, its not pretty but it works. I am really going to miss having the roads to my self for cycling, you have know idea how peaceful it was going for a evening ride, and the air quality was so much better, or so I thought. I really don't think this opening up is a great idea, I suspect we may do somewhat ok though the heat of the summer, but I suspect another bad wave of it come the cooler temps of fall. Oh well, such is life I will roll with whatever comes.
Even if things are reopened for just a few months before the second wave, this may be good enough to keep some businesses on life support. If things were closed until a vaccine is available, most small/medium businesses wouldn’t make it. Then the world would be full of Walmart’s and McDs post pandemic...

Return to “General Discussions”