Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post by farmgal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks for the overview Clarence, that was not a good garden year for you, it was a hard year for most of us.. interesting about the deer and turkey, we did not have a bad year this year, the farm dogs do a good job on keeping the larger out and the farm cats do a good job on the smaller, including the tree rats..

Are you going to age the tomato's til they turn red or are you going to make relish with the green ones, and don't forget fried green tomato's (so good) or stewed green tomato's. I have to admit that I use a lot of green over the season because they are the first ones ready

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Well, it is almost the mid of oct and I guess I should give a "overview", the season is not fully done yet so there will be a final round up.. my local area is consider in a level two drought, we got 60 percent less rain then normal. We had late frost in the spring, we had a heat wave with no rain at the timing for seeding time in early aug for fall garden harvest and we had a early hard frost with a longer extended fall with high winds, and a mix of crazy heat and then cold..

Some of the thing we would normally grow this year did not get planted due to planned reno's in the main garden, as I knew we would need to bring equipment in, other area's that were planted and did grow well but was run over and ruined when we needed to have the big tree's taken down.

having said all that.. what we did get planted in regular garden did very little, they struggled from the start.. however everything that was planted the hugelbeds, or the permaculture raised/compost gardens or in the food hedge row garden beds, ROCKED it and are still either producing food that we are eating now or are finishing growing out seed for next years garden.

The stars of the year.. the perennial of course and like most hard years, its the soft fruits that outproduced the hard fruits pound for pound. Overall, we are down several thousand pounds of produce.

So total we brought in between 1500 to 1800 pounds so far and I hope that we will get to that 2000 pound mark. we will see, I am having a second wind in the yard that was cleared with the tree's and was able to seed out a good amount of fall edibles and we are covering some things with the hoop house to extend those crops and yields.. we still have a number of fall root crops that are growing well and will not be harvested till the final push!

We will be working very hard on getting the spring gardens ready for as early planting as possible and gearing up for a outstanding 3 season garden season next year!

oldschool
Canada

Post by oldschool » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:32 am

In the last little bit since it got a bit cooler, I now have swiss chard and tomatoes finally. I am already looking at seeds for next year, taking down & reworking the raised beds

and I told my neighbour I am cutting down all the parts of her tree that hangs over my fence :twisted:

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:18 pm

farmgal wrote:Thanks for the overview Clarence, that was not a good garden year for you, it was a hard year for most of us.. interesting about the deer and turkey, we did not have a bad year this year, the farm dogs do a good job on keeping the larger out and the farm cats do a good job on the smaller, including the tree rats..

Are you going to age the tomato's til they turn red or are you going to make relish with the green ones, and don't forget fried green tomato's (so good) or stewed green tomato's. I have to admit that I use a lot of green over the season because they are the first ones ready
Will let them redden up. I want my tomatoes to put on bacon and lettuce sandwich :D

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:46 pm

My root veggies were good-except for one type of potatoe. Winter surprised us so our potatoe harvesting was touch and go, waiting for a sunny day. My squashs did really well-except for the spaghetti squash(likely a water issue). My corn grew better than most years??? My greens were lovely but went to seed too early of course. Tomatoes were numerous but with huge amounts of water needed. We had smoke in the air from BC most of the summer-so not the most enjoyable summer I've had. Bee's alive and well-so that's good! Glad it's over really :roll:
But...boxes are put to bed! Ready for next year! Going to add some sand to the boxes next spring and the compost was added just prior to the snow! Ug...Winter
On a side note... Not surprisingly- Hay was hugely expensive this year :twisted:

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:55 pm

While I did not use my tomato green house this year, had I done so I could have been picking fresh tomatoes up until now..its strangely warm out, even equalized my batteries today and that's the first time ever that I could do so, so late in the year. Often just lighting the fire for overnight use and letting it go out in the day. Its not going to be a typical winter...
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:30 pm

I on the other hand, had snow on the ground/frozen five weeks early to normal, the whole province have had record breaking cold temps, on a day that our average is plus 3 it was -28 here on the farm. Snow is here and its to stay.. we have had our first snow storm, No school day, and our first freezing rain storm.. Winter here we come.

We are prepping for more power outages and such.. last year we have five.. we will see what 2019 brings.. I second you.. it will not be our typical winter!

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”