Reputable Wind Turbine Manufacturers?

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
peppercorn

Re: Reputable Wind Turbine Manufacturers?

Post by peppercorn »

Danux wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:34 pm

A family member living off-grid has just solar, and a small gas generator, won't go near wind. Fires the gen maybe three times a year, tells me he thinks wind simply isn't worth the hassle - too much maintenance/effort, too expensive up front, too fragile etc. Carbon power seems like a good option to have, but I still prefer the idea of being able to power my pack without having to rely on a market-supplied fuel source.

You have a smart, experienced family member. Wind was really only viable dollars and since wise before 2010, before the price of solar panels dropped to nothing, and now with LiFeP04 falling in price....Wind power and what you get from it isn't worth the cost of the pole or tower you mount it on. YMMV

Edit...only place I think it might have any limited benefit, and only limited to a couple winter months at that, may be costal. If a person likes kinetic yard art, they will be happy with a wind turbine! If you want power, and performance ( day in day out like clock work) its solar panels and batteries (LiFeP04)

Edit again... should you want to go ahead with wind power I would be happy to sell you a never used all steel 53ft tall (from memory) take down tip up tower. You just need to add the guy wires, And its built with heavy wall steel pipe! Heavier wall pipe than any tower you can buy! On a steel I beam base. 1000.00 dollars takes it. I don't think you can even buy the steel for that price, actually I know you cant.
Last edited by peppercorn on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
Danux
Canada

Post by Danux »

Quite a deal there Peppercorn. Is that called a "gin pole"? I am not (at the moment) in a position to commit to it, but perhaps if I feeling like wasting a bit of money on wind, I'll give you a nudge.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Danux wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 pm Quite a deal there Peppercorn. Is that called a "gin pole"? I am not (at the moment) in a position to commit to it, but perhaps if I feeling like wasting a bit of money on wind, I'll give you a nudge.

Yes on a fixed gin pole. From the time you walk out to the tower until the time you can have your turbine tipped down and at head height to work on is about 90 seconds. The time to crank it back up again....5 to 10 minutes (old guys 15 minutes to get it up..jk) depending on how heavy it is. Suitable for a 10 foot, maybe 12 foot diameter blade set, I would not go more, but that is a honest 800 to 1100 watt size turbine.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Danux wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 pm Quite a deal there Peppercorn. Is that called a "gin pole"? I am not (at the moment) in a position to commit to it, but perhaps if I feeling like wasting a bit of money on wind, I'll give you a nudge.

Danux, You snooze, you lose. Tower no longer available. I have decided to put it to use and am getting it ready to put a turbine on it. (Otherpower/Hugh Piggott style)

I have just finished up making the blades out of clear knot free Cedar, you dont want to know the cost, but does the Cedar ever look nice when finished with Linseed oil. Its sad that the UV will just turn the blades pale gray in a few years.
cedar blade.jpg
cedar blade.jpg (250.19 KiB) Viewed 267 times

I went to the trouble of building a wooden blade carving jig so that all the blades will come out the same. I just clamp a 2x8 into the trough and use a chain saw that has metal guides on the bar and the chain saw does the rough cutting following the guides, the belt sander with 40 grit does the rough sanding, followed by the belt sander with 120 grit, and lastly hand sanded with 220 grit. Takes 10 hours to pump out 3 finished blades from start to finish.
Blade carving jig.jpg
Blade carving jig.jpg (485.21 KiB) Viewed 265 times
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

I can tell any one thinking about putting up a real turbine ( as opposed to those 400 watt (claimed) ebay specials ) that before you spend money on a turbine put up a tower for one first. I guarantee it will be a good learning experience. I admit I am going over kill by likely 2 maybe 2.5 times with the guy wires. I have about half on in this picture, when done I will have north of 30 on this tower. The weight of the cables alone is more than I could pick up at once with my arms. I am guessing somewhere around 200-275 pounds and the cost close to 800-900 dollars. Then you will need cable clamps for securing your guy wires, roughly over 200 needed, another200-225 dollars for those.
guy wires.jpg
guy wires.jpg (313.98 KiB) Viewed 227 times

The phone has distorted the picture making it look shorter than it is .
Grouchyprepper
Canada

Post by Grouchyprepper »

Wow.....someone not scared of heights.
you use a crane or a lift truck to put that in?
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Grouchyprepper wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:52 pm Wow.....someone not scared of heights.
you use a crane or a lift truck to put that in?
Neither, put up by hand power. Using a 26 foot long gin pole for mechanical advantage, with a hand crank winch attached to about 2000 pounds of burried steel. Its actually very scary lifting this much steel up as high as this tower is. I chickened out a bit and cut the tower 6 feet shorter than I had originally built it for. Here you can see the pivot point and gin pole.
base.jpg
base.jpg (594.55 KiB) Viewed 212 times
and here you can get a idea of counter weights I am adding to make the cranking up and down easier on my old arms. As the gin pole rises when lowering the tower a cable from the gin pole to the slug of steel below it will tighten and add weight to the gin pole. Finally using up steel from my junk metal pile.
counterweight.jpg
counterweight.jpg (436.45 KiB) Viewed 211 times
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Here you can see the set up with the counter weights doing there job. In this picture the ginn pole is now pointing straight up into the air, The turbine and pole are now laying down. Each of those round steel slugs are 250-300 pounds so together the counter weights equal about 600 pounds
counter weights.jpg
counter weights.jpg (554.09 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Had a slight accident when lowering the tower when my hand slipped off the hand crank, no bones broken but close, it will be a day or so before I can use my hand.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Here is a project I have been meaning to get back to. This is from a wind turbine needing a complete rebuild, new coils wound, new magnets and new blades made, but once done this thing could power a whole house and no solar panels would be needed. The problem with turbines this size is the cost to build it and the huge size and weight of everything. I cant even get the blades in the picture cause they are 17 feet across. It takes two men to lift this blade set up and carry it, and even then you can only go 20-30 feet and then need to set it down and rest. This is on my rebuild list to do, but not now.

blades.jpg
blades.jpg (557.02 KiB) Viewed 114 times
It had been built with cheap lumber for blades, but I am wanting to do the blades in good knot free, clear cedar. I estimate the Cedar cost to do each blade at 850-1000 dollars. So close to 3000.00.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

From my ( burnt) scrap metal pile, a Bison chuck for a pipe spinner, I remember the bill for that...2000 dollars! Now I will drag it over to the tower and add it on the counter weight shaft. It will become the most expensive counter weight around. It has to be close to two hundred pounds of steel.
chuck.jpg
chuck.jpg (543.54 KiB) Viewed 76 times

Return to “Alternative Energy”