working with hides?

Discussions of Hunting and Gathering
henry

Re: working with hides?

Post by henry »

I never processed any skins from my animals but when I was working in Kazachstan there was a farm raising foxes and they processed skins with salt and sour milk.It must be good because the guy gave me one skin (fox) for a gift and after 20 years is still beautiful.I wish i went to looked the process.
Henry

farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

Sour milk? That is one I have never heard of, now you are going to make me go looking all over to see if I can track down how that is used.. very interesting..
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

backwoodsontario wrote:I would like to see that egg yolk method. I've heard of the willow bark but willow is scarce where I'll be. If you'd like a coyote hide to try I can certainly get one too you....I hunt them all year round.
Hi, I would indeed be interested in a coyote hide, I will PM you to see if we can figure something out in terms of how to get one to me.
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/41624

lots of info in here on both brain, egg and sour milk and sour milk/liver combo's, yet another thing to try, but will have to wait till spring when the cow freshen's because I am so not going to use my sheep milk on a project like this, it goes for feta making :)

A few of them say that the milk tanned hides "feel" different, do you find your fox feels different then other hides? and if so, in whar way..
ranger2012

Post by ranger2012 »

Sour milk?, I know that the way to seal a earthen jug is with soured milk.
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."
henry

Post by henry »

Just a little note.I hope everybody knows what sour milk is.(not butter milk) You can not get it (make it) from the milk from store just by letting it sit for along time.Milk from store do not get sour it gets spoiled.
Henry
WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

farmgal wrote:
backwoodsontario wrote:I would like to see that egg yolk method. I've heard of the willow bark but willow is scarce where I'll be. If you'd like a coyote hide to try I can certainly get one too you....I hunt them all year round.
Hi, I would indeed be interested in a coyote hide, I will PM you to see if we can figure something out in terms of how to get one to me.
PVC tube with end caps in place, no odour, no fuss no muss and low cost. Another option would be to go to the Dollar store, get one of those large plastic bags, put the pelt in there then vacuum the bag, air lock bag. Can not remember what they are called, but like food sealer bags only huge! Then put it in another plastic bag and tape it shut, just in case!
WildernessReturn

Post by WildernessReturn »

henry wrote:Just a little note.I hope everybody knows what sour milk is.(not butter milk) You can not get it (make it) from the milk from store just by letting it sit for along time.Milk from store do not get sour it gets spoiled.
Henry
so? you need to get real milk from the dairy farm then let it sour? No additives and no heating pasteurization of the milk prior to you letting it sour?
farmgal
Canada

Post by farmgal »

henry wrote:Just a little note.I hope everybody knows what sour milk is.(not butter milk) You can not get it (make it) from the milk from store just by letting it sit for along time.Milk from store do not get sour it gets spoiled.
Henry
So henry would it be clabber then that I was looking for, or even more sour then that?
henry

Post by henry »

Milk from dairy farm let sit in a room temperature for couple of days.On the top of milk you get layer of sour cream.You collect that and if you have more of it you can make butter by whipping it .(now you have butter and butter milk) After taking the sour cream you are left with beautiful clamps of sour milk.
To make it from store bought milk you buy organic 3.8% milk , warm it up (appr.70F) and whip in (in 4l) 1 cup of bought sour cream.Let it stand in glass container for 24 hr in room temperature.
The sour milk we drink instead of yogurt.
Henry

Return to “Hunting & Gathering”