How Did We Get Here?

Post general discussions here
Protector
Canada

Re: How Did We Get Here?

Post by Protector » Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 am

Count on my buddy Crowns own to put something positive in there.

Now; "Be the change you want to see in the world!" That means if you wanna see people gardening, showing off projects, preps, pictures, be cool, positive and proactive. You have to do those things too! If your thinking you want to see better content. Then post one new post of the nature you want to see a week. Challenge others to do the same in a friendly way!

I'd love to see people's garden, food and water storage, plans for the future, projects, MAG'S, specialties like Entropy did this night.

I'm going to keep posting my life in hopes you all do the same.

Namaste

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:27 am

Well, Hello again everyone!

Just came back from spending the better part of last year abroad on a job. This to explain my absence from the forum. I'm playing catch up around the property; there is still so much to do!!

Prepping priority right now is getting the garden and orchard further developed. I've had the chance to do quite a bit of reading on gardening and permaculture and I think I might go that route on the acreage. I haven't fully drank the CoolAid though so I don't think I'll be a purist. This will be an ongoing project for the years to come.

I'll continue to explore heating alternative. A wood stove is my goal, but the house would need some adaptation. As with any older homes that have been renovated a few times, I'm dreading making major modifications. Mrs HP is happy with the house layout as it is, so it will be a matter of compromising.

I eventually want to fence the property and add a security gate by the road. Returning from the last contract, I've noticed A LOT of my "neighbours" have installed a gate. I suspect that a recent uptick in rural crimes - some of them quite violent - has been the latest motivation. In the meanwhile, I have implemented a few cheaper means of deterrence.

There will soon be 4 more hens in the coop! We currently have more eggs than can routinely use, but a but of a surplus can't hurt!

I have increased my potential for rainwater harvest and, shy of a major drought, could be sufficient for gardens and personal use with a bit of rationing. I still want to add a manual pump for the cistern water however. Another project for when I get some time.

I'm happy to be back home and will try to add a few meaningful pieces of info from time to time. I'll also endeavour to add regular posts to the health sections.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:26 am

helicopilot wrote:Well, Hello again everyone!

I eventually want to fence the property and add a security gate by the road. Returning from the last contract, I've noticed A LOT of my "neighbours" have installed a gate. I suspect that a recent uptick in rural crimes - some of them quite violent - has been the latest motivation. In the meanwhile, I have implemented a few cheaper means of deterrence.
I am big fan of a proper gate and fence. No one should be able to drive right up to your home is my theory, unless you are expecting them and have opened the gate for them.
The stories I could tell about the things that have happened to people i know who cant control access to thier property...you would not believe. Just way too many drug influenced people driving about out in rural alberta...looking for opertunities. I know a lot of it is locals to the area
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Return to “General Discussions”