Whats to fear...?

Post general discussions here
RamblerDodger

Whats to fear...?

Post by RamblerDodger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Hey everyone, i'll try not to ramble...
I'm somewhat new to the prepper movement, having bought my first house and started a family within the last few years. I did, however, grow up in the country and currently live in small-town-nowhere, so I understand the necessity and benefits of being self sufficient and frugal as a day-to-day lifestyle.

My wife and I are doing what we can to stock a pantry and keep drinkable water on hand, along with alternative sources of heating, cooking and light. But other then the occasional black out, flooded basement, or hellish snowfall...why prep?

I'm definitely conflicted due to my belief that the whole prepping movement is perpetuated from the FEAR of something horrible happening (either environmentally, ecologically, or socially) and I'm finding it hard to decipher the reality of the state of the world, and how it directly effects my area/region/province, from the hype thats created from not only the media but also the 'dooms-day-ers'. I think what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to get caught up in blind consumerism from my honest to God belief that its better to be prepared then to not...but my question is, for what? Really...Ontario, perhaps only comparatively, is one of the nicest places to live!

I mean, whats the worst that could happen in South-Western Ontario? (and no, thats not a rhetorical question) I think we could all agree that Japan has it B-A-D. Earthquake, tsunami, nuclear radiation leaking, and and and...its brutal, and I really feel for those people! But could any of that happen here?? Are the Great Lakes due to swell at an alarming rate anytime soon? We barely get tornadoes...as far as I know, we're not near or on a fault line...and I don't feel it really necessary to plan for a meteor shower. The zombie-apocalypse...although ruggedly cool, is firmly in the category "When Pigs Fly".

I dunno...I joined this network to hopefully talk to 'normal' people that aren't gun crazed, zombie obsessed, conspiracy theorists.

PLEASE reply!

Foxglove
Canada

Re: Whats to fear...?

Post by Foxglove » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi RamblerDodger

I'm in the Lower Mainland of BC so we're in earthquake country though there are the occasional tsunami alerts. Why prep? Well it helped us get our family of six through 9 months of unemployment in 2009, then 3 months of a low paying job before something better came along. After that year my food storage had a lot of empty spots on the shelves but it got us through. As soon as we started getting a bit more money again I started shopping the sales and I save a lot of money by buying ahead. I don't pay $1.59 to $1.79 for a 796ml jar of tomato sauce I wait until it's on for 99 cents and buy 24-36 cans. 10kg of sugar is 13.99 right now, I buy it when it's 7.99 Another practical part of food storage is that I'm not running out to the store constantly because there's no food in the house. We can be in the middle of dinner and someone uses the last of the bbq sauce and I just pull another one out of my food storage.

Last year one of the water systems near us was contaminated and an area was on boil water alert until they fixed it but that took almost two weeks, that's why I have water. It was a relatively small area but if that happened to a larger area or the entire city the stores would be out of water quite quickly. What if the truckers go on strike? The stores only have 2-3 days of food and I sure don't want to be fighting the crowds for a can of vegetables. No zombies :-) just life.

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi, Rambler Dodger. It would be nice if more people were as level headed as you sound. Thankfully, there are preppers who do so without the fear you talk about.

Personally, I've done one kind of prepping or another since I was 18 and newly married, but it wasn't called prepping then. It was just the way we lived. I enjoyed the good feelings that came from canning food from my father-in-law's garden, and using it to feed my family for the winter.

I've kept small livestock, sold my hand made soap at farmers markets, butchered meat rabbits, chickens and pigs mostly all by myself (except the pigs), but with some help from in-laws because my husband has never been 'on board' except when a meal is put on the table. You are very fortunate that your wife is agreeable. It's almost impossible if the 2 of you aren't together on this.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories either. I just feel fulfilled with the lifestyle.

Please, listen to this podcast. There is no fear mongering in it. It's about an hour long, and I think you and your wife may find it an interesting way to think about prepping. It may speak to you, it may not, but I bet it will cause some paradym shifts in your thought processes, and at the very least give some non-fearful reasons to prep.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episo ... al-reasons

Welcome, to the board!

Sue
ps. You can ramble all you like. :) Sometimes it helps get the points straight in your head to get things down and permanant, no matter how long it takes to get there.
Hope for tomorrow; Learn from yesterday; Live for today.

Dereka_k

Post by Dereka_k » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Greetings Rambler,

I have always been a rather casual prepper, just another way of saying I'm a sucker for a sale :lol: I always like to have emergency food supplies, extra candles, ect, and have always been drawn to cool things like wind-up radio's.

Due to my desire to always be as prepared as I can be, I've actually been asked point blank "What are you afraid of?" The honest answer is: "Nothing"

I've always tried to be prepared for "The Worst" is this a fear thing? No. I see it as a common sense thing. What is the worst? In my area, the worst I can expect is mass flooding, maybe the odd tornado, a black out, amazing amount of snow or more realistically sudden unemployment. Really nothing when you compare it to the nightmare many of our friends in Japan are facing.

My being the "Weird Guy" who prepares for no reason, has been put to the test a couple times. The most recent occasion a few years ago: A Forest Fire took out the towns main power station plunging most of the city into darkness. While most of the people I know were sitting around in the dark, Because I was prepared for possible emergencies and was ready for an outage like this I was sitting around watching movies and listening to the radio.

Being prepared has nothing to do with being afraid, its simply about thinking ahead.

awolbc

Post by awolbc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:35 pm

deleted
Last edited by awolbc on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Post by Denob » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:09 am

First off Rambler, I apologize for not welcoming you to the site earlier. I have a lot of blogs and forums to keep up on and sometimes don't get around to looking into new posts. Anyways, that being said, you may want to turn to The Canadian Preppers Network blog. I will have a post going up on Saturday outlining the different levels of preppers that you may find helpful. I agree that the zombie scenario can be hard to rationalize, but like Foxglove mentioned, unemployment is high on my "reasons to prep" list. I agree that SW Ontario is not exactly a disaster magnet, but things can and sometimes do happen to the nicest people in the nicest places. My advice is to research local disasters over the past 100 years or so to get an idea of what you could expect. Check out the blog site here...

http://www.canadianpreppersnetwork.com/

And feel free to ramble all you want, that is the only way we can learn from each other, and that's what this forum is all about.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 pm

South-Western Ontario, I'd get out of there, just kidding. I,m prepped to keep the gun crazed, zombie obsessed conspiracy theorists away from my front door. Especially the conspiracy theorists who believe the world is going to stop turning on dec 21 2012 and start turning the other way. True or not, unless your bill gates or some other supper wealthy person, the only thing you can do is ride it out. I don't think that is going to happen, but I do think global warming is NOT caused by us humans, but a natural warming of the Earth, were we are going to get more saver weather, earth quakes and hurricanes flooding , droughts , you name it, what ever Mother Earth wants to do, we need to live with her not against her. Remember a lot of animals put away food stores. I'm liking all the comet on this subject, its better to have prep and not need it, than need it and not prep. that's my short answer. :D

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:03 am

Hi, Rambler...I'm worried a little about food shortages and starving with Russia's entire wheat crop lost to floods last year; 4 million acres of farmland flooded by the Missouri River; a locust in Russia recently; 4.5 million fish dying from volcanic ash in Chile; Texas, Arizona, and Oklahoma burning fields to control the burn of scorched crops; North Dakota losing acres due to floods from Souris River; Japan having contaminated livestock and crops from radiation; the current rebursting of the sea floor from the Gulf oil disaster---again!!!; Oklahoma and Texas selling livestock due to crop shortages;

And that's just off the top of my head...yeah, I'm not gun crazed, zombie obsessed, or a conspiracy theorist.

I'm a southern belle afraid of dying from hunger or even worse, for lack of clean water.

And, Rambler, your great lakes are being slowly depleted by China...don't you watch Jesse Ventura??? Even Michigan residents can tell you that.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 am

Foxglove...are you my twin????

Foxglove
Canada

Post by Foxglove » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi JayJay

I think there are a lot of twins out there these days, people who got hit with the economic down-turn though here in Canada it was better than the US. Luckily my husband if on board about food storage even though he leaves it mostly to me, the biggest selling point for him is the amount of money we save.

Foxglove

Return to “General Discussions”