Post general Canadian discussions here.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Post by Denob »

Picked up at auction:

3 down duvets (2 double 1 twin)
2 5lb fill sleeping bags (rating should be somewhere between 0 and -10)
3 double comforters (great for emergency guests or to place on refrigerators/freezers for power failures)
countless sheets (good for covering the garden against frost)
squirrel trap (buggers have been chewing my Christmas lights)
straight razor
an old curling iron that one would heat on a wood stove (the Mrs. has to look good after SHTF ya know!)

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Picked up 10 flats of soup when in the big city last week. While I do make my own soup from scratch this has many uses. As a base for other soups, also the liquid part can be mixed with instant potatoes (if you are out of margarine or milk). 74 cents a can, not to bad, though high in in salt content that I dont like but it is what it is.
on sale.jpg
on sale.jpg (234.72 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

peppercorn wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:11 am Picked up 10 flats of soup when in the big city last week. While I do make my own soup from scratch this has many uses. As a base for other soups, also the liquid part can be mixed with instant potatoes (if you are out of margarine or milk). 74 cents a can, not to bad, though high in in salt content that I dont like but it is what it is.
on sale.jpg
I’m guessing you had a few folks looking at you. Any comments from anyone? A good answer would clearly be “it’s going to be my donation to the local foodbank”
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Not so much as a peep from anyone. So few people in the store that when I rolled up to the till there was not another person around. I like it. I think it was Thursday, around 5-6 pm. Normally it would have been a zoo this close to Christmas and after working hours.
Im really liking this social distancing. Give me more of it.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

Picked up a new (new to me) 4X4 f150, with 8 foot box , canopy, and trailer ( I think a 10 x 5 ). Older one but only 100 000 on the engine, and the inspection came back perfect. I just plan to use it on the property and close to home. I may try to find a blade to put on it or maybe not. There goes the money for the cement pad for my green house.

I havent bought a used vehicle in decades, I had a dealer connection who used to help me out so long as I paid cash. Always done me a solid. (but I took care of him in other ways as business people do) Sometimes I would be questioned as I registered the trucks, they would say is this price correct? has a mistake been made? I just said everything is correct without further comment. Since my medical adventures a few years back my big (or sometimes so ) earning days are over so it will likely be used vehicles for my future. Such is life. I am not a keeping up with the Jones type guy anyway.

I actually dont need any new vehicles. I have 2 low millage cars put away that I could put on the road and ofcourse the truck I am driving now still has many years ahead (a 2013 F150). I only bought this because I really wanted to have a 4 wheel drive on the property, and the price was right. I can finish out my life without having to buy any more vehicles.
scrounger
Canada

Post by scrounger »

One unfortunate thing about living in Ontario is sales tax on used vehicles. Generally you pay 13% tax on the higher of either purchase price or wholesale price according to redbook value. Gov collects every time vehicle is sold.
I reserve the right to be a blowhard. Blaster
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

Got myself a grow tent. Clearly designed for home-grown cannabis, but 8m sure it will also work amazingly well for my seedling and winter plant growing.

Legalization really opened up the market and now those can be bought anywhere. Bought mine at one of those “straight from China” mercantile for $80 (same model / brand is like $135 on Amazon). I’ll set it up tomorrow.
peppercorn

Post by peppercorn »

helicopilot wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:25 am Got myself a grow tent. Clearly designed for home-grown cannabis, but 8m sure it will also work amazingly well for my seedling and winter plant growing.

Legalization really opened up the market and now those can be bought anywhere. Bought mine at one of those “straight from China” mercantile for $80 (same model / brand is like $135 on Amazon). I’ll set it up tomorrow.
Picture required.
helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot »

It’s not set up with shelving yet, but this is the online pic of the model I got.

I’ve just rechecked the price and I paid $90 for it. Canadian tire has plastic shelves the would fit nicely inside for about $40; I’ll pick one up next time I’m in town.

I’ll use it to start my garden seedlings, and I also want to grow veggies in the winter: lettuce, kale, tomato and pepper...
Attachments
FE1C2424-D1AA-4858-B64F-18ABF0223998.jpeg
FE1C2424-D1AA-4858-B64F-18ABF0223998.jpeg (663.57 KiB) Viewed 395 times
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Post by thecrownsown »

Recertified in First Aid and CPR from the Red Cross. Completed two courses from CSA in Infection Control. Enrolled in a First Responder "advanced" first/medical aid course.
https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”