Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Climate Change effecting your garden plans?

Post by farmgal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Fun enough I hear you on this one Denob, I am doing a major flex on the farm in some ways a well and for sure will be expanding our gardens in a big way over the next couple years. The price of everything is going up at the store but fruit, and fresh veggies are very strongly going up and I think its going to just keep going that way.

I am lowering my meat production and increasing my garden production ratio's.. I am still finding balance in regards to my milk and milk products levels.

Peppercorn, we just got a hit with a storm that dumped 1 and half inches of rain on the farm in 20 min. Here and then gone..

on the other hand that was the best view of have seen in how the water is going to collect and move in our new front year without the big trees and that was good information to have.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 am

farmgal wrote: The price of everything is going up at the store but fruit, and fresh veggies are very strongly going up and I think its going to just keep going that way.
I think so. I have already reconsidered my attached green house I started, it will have to be bigger to include gardening and firewood storage, and I will have to either get my well going again or run a line out to the duck pond to ensure lots of water for gardening. I didnt ramp up my watering as fast as I should have and first the heat hit the garden hard, then it was whipsawed by real cool overnight lows, and all this smoke could not have helped. Just these little things have really taken a toll on production, even my potatoes are doing lousy. I have seen trees around here that not only has their leaves already turned yellow but they have fallen completely off and its still Aug??
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 pm

I was driving around today with the radio on, and on some phone in gardening show it seemed like everyone calling in was complaining about their gardens, either how slow things were growing or how little production. The gardening expert they had on was attributing this largely to the persistant smoky conditions we have had all summer.

I did notice this year that berries when washed seemed dirtier than in previous years, or so I thought, maybe it is from the smoke.
Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

helicopilot
Canada

Post by helicopilot » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 am

I think there is a clear connection between the smoke and the poor crop. It’s as if when had no sunlight for weeks on end!

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:08 am

It just occurred to me I havnt hit float in a long time, this smoke has knocked solar power way down, its like October sunshine wise, so its not just gardening that's taken a hit.

I just went and looked at Edmontons on line array and compared Augusts production to previous years and its way down with the worst days for August recorded this year when compared to previous years. August 12 the 3 kw array produced just 500whrs, not enough to run a fridge. It took until Oct 25 last year before we hit such a low number, this is leaving me thinking this type of smoke is a serious problem for solar power! as well as plants.

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:27 am

farmgal wrote:Hi Clarence

So many questions to ask.. like when did you plant beans and did you buy tomoato starts or did you start them from seed.. my self-seeded tomato's are just now in full bloom and producing.. where as my early started tomato's have been producing since july. Did the heat stunt the beans?

Overall, its very odd that you have no flowers on either tomaoto's or beans at this time of the year in a garden, so something has gone wrong but I can't say its the weather per say.. I have a general feel of where you might be and if I am right then I do know from fellow gardens on my main Ottawa garden group that a number of them had total slow down/no growth in the major heat wave unless they were doing a small garden and watering all the time.

However the last three weeks have been a good mix of weather/water and we are all reporting excellent garden growth, productions and yields increasing. The carrots and beets are a little more easy to guess at.. typically when you have lots of top and not much bottom growth its a soil issue.. it means that your soil was to rich in nitrogen. Normally it just means that you used a good amount of compost to feed the soil that year.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... orming.htm

Sorry I can't be of more help here.. if you want to tell me about soil, about water plan, about set up, I might be able to offer more ideas..
Everything was from seeds and due to eye surgery, went in last week of may. Based on feel of soil, I figure I was keeping things damp enough during the July heat spell.

One factor may be to much shade. Not convinced because plants are tall, so moisture and soil must be good, but that’s all I can think of. Will wait and see what happens, may just be late. Definitely planting in more sun next spring and doing some seedlings inside, to get a jump. Will keep you posted.

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 am

Interesting note: I was listening to the owners of vineyards in BC-talking about the grapes being ruined by the summer of smoke. The taste and growth of the grape is very bad apparently!

peppercorn

Post by peppercorn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 am

Dakota wrote:Interesting note: I was listening to the owners of vineyards in BC-talking about the grapes being ruined by the summer of smoke. The taste and growth of the grape is very bad apparently!

NO, say it isn't so...not the grapes!

Dakota
Canada

Post by Dakota » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:23 am

Hey...I'm a wine drinker!!! Very important I have my wine. :D

Clarence
Canada

Post by Clarence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:37 am

Question. Call it climate change, hot, damp dry... season or whatever.

Assuming one has enough fuel, would a greenhouse not be the most predictable? You can grow year round and always have fresh produce.

Excuse my ignorance if I am missing something but it sounds to me that this might solve a ton of issues?

If fuel is abundant and size of structure is the remaining issue. What size would the green thumbs on this board recommend for family of four.

Exterior gardening still be an option, but greenhouse being the filler in case of a bad season

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”