• Advertisement

What Did You Prep This Week

Post general Canadian discussions here.
Marmitton

Re: What Did You Prep This Week

Postby Marmitton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:38 pm

setting up different bugout packs in strategic locations around my area.
Making sure all my mylar stocks are still air tight.
Finally if I got time, I will plan recipes with my inventory.
busy day.

Live in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Got myself a dehydrator! Large 10 tray on sale at Cabelas during "Black Friday." Getting ready for the winter here, so it's quieter.

I've picked up a bunch of food stuff I want to prepare for long term storage : Rice, pasta, powdered milk. I have 40 "gallon" sized bags and O2 absorbers. This is my first time trying this. Any other suggestions of food stuff I could use? Maybe one day I'll get into wheat, but I'll need a mill for this as well.
1 x

cardwell125
Canada

Postby cardwell125 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:06 pm

vaccum sealed in mason jars :::: 5 x 2 L chick pea flour ... 10 x 1 L desi Chick Peas .... 2 x 500 ml desi Chick Peas . ..
Moved 8 x 5 L containers of H2O to my bug out ( that was a grunt ) cycled out some gas from my preps , ... Papa JOHN
1 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Hellicopter congrats on the dehydrator. White flour, sugar, salt and beans are also good choices for vacuum sealing. They will last a very long time.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:28 am

Adagio wrote:Hellicopter congrats on the dehydrator. White flour, sugar, salt and beans are also good choices for vacuum sealing. They will last a very long time.

Thanks for the tip. I thought flour would go rancid, but I'll definitely try. For this first attempt, I'd rather do a bunch of different things than making one large batch of macaroni...
0 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:38 pm

In the past few weeks I've managed to make a bit of headway! I'm finally gearing up to graduate college, and now that my cash doesn't go straight to school I have money to spend on preps! I've managed to pick up some little things like extra batteries, vitamins, otc painkillers, and personal hygiene items to add to my stash.
Just before New Year's I remembered a site that was shared on here a few years ago that I loved, http://www.13skills.com/ . I think I've mostly focused on material prepping up to this point, and the more informational preps have been largely 'in-theory' or classes that aren't entirely practical to a likely situation (I.e. wilderness survival courses). I found this site helped me set goals that involve learning skills that are more practical. I think we all know that New Year's resolutions usually get dropped by the end of January, but I've got my goals set out in timelines to help set a pace to follow. If you're anything like me, having a written list seems to help me keep on top of things rather than having it in my head.

I consider my goals to be preps because they're going to help me be better prepared both mentally and physically. Paying off current debts from school will help me free up cash for future projects, and I also have a savings goal for year end. I've set goals for my canning as well as what I will can, since most of what I do so far is jam and tomato sauce; delicious but one hopes for a more varied diet. I've also resolved to grow the size of my garden and try out grains for the first time as well as learn more about local wild edibles. I'm also going to finally learn to use the reloading equipment we have and reload a few hundred rounds. I've been avoiding going to the range because ammunition is becoming expensive, and reloading will be a good way to cut costs and help me add to my stores. I'm going to practice my butchery, and improve my second language skills.
2 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Finally stopped procrastinating and put some of my dry goods in Mylar and put them away. 4 pails worth of gallon-sized bags. A bit of everything: pasta, rice, sugar, beans, lentils powdered milk, oats...
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm

This week.. hmmm Does putting up a years plus supply of marmalade count.. I am on my 6th kind in the past few weeks..
2 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Dragonwriter
Canada

Postby Dragonwriter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:12 am

After a two year break from prepping, recent events have prompted me to get prepping again, as well as develop our household infrastructure. Yesterday I picked up more peanut butter for the prep shelves. Today my partner and I decided on the next three big prepping-related purchases. Time to get off my arse and get my ducks in a row!
2 x
“...there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.”
[i]Stephen King[/i]

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Pruned the fruit trees. Unfortunately the plum tree was in poor shape so the main tree is gone, hoping that the fresh-looking suckers will take over.

Also had to cut a very large mayday that was covered in black knots. Got a few good logs for the outdoor pit out of it, stored in the wood shed far from all the other trees!
1 x

Return to “General Canadian Discussions”