• Advertisement

Firearms

MelbournePrepper95

Firearms

Postby MelbournePrepper95 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Recently been looking into buying a firearm, preferably a a rifle or shotgun as pistols take a long time to acquire and come with heavier restrictions. Welcome to any suggestions, cheers.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Re: Firearms

Postby Perfesser » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:21 am

First gun? Get a .22, something reliable. Some kind of repeater (not a single shot). By the time you learn to shoot with it you won't have spent much money and you'll know better what you need next.
0 x

MelbournePrepper95

Postby MelbournePrepper95 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:52 am

Thanks Perfesser. There's a few .22's I've been looking into, now it's time to apply for a license.
0 x

westernprepper01

Postby westernprepper01 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 am

Perfesser wrote:First gun? Get a .22, something reliable. Some kind of repeater (not a single shot). By the time you learn to shoot with it you won't have spent much money and you'll know better what you need next.

unfortunately in Australia repeating rifles have been banned for a long time, except for very special purposes you cannot get one legally, you don't realise how lucky you are to have such liberal gun laws where you are. Did you know even sling shots are illegal in Australia, what a joke.
You are right in saying a .22 is the best first rifle to get, cheap enough rifle and cheap ammo.
0 x
You Have Everything To Gain By Prepping.......And Everything To Lose If You Don’t.

MelbournePrepper95

Postby MelbournePrepper95 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:38 pm

westernprepper01 wrote:
Perfesser wrote:First gun? Get a .22, something reliable. Some kind of repeater (not a single shot). By the time you learn to shoot with it you won't have spent much money and you'll know better what you need next.

unfortunately in Australia repeating rifles have been banned for a long time, except for very special purposes you cannot get one legally, you don't realise how lucky you are to have such liberal gun laws where you are. Did you know even sling shots are illegal in Australia, what a joke.
You are right in saying a .22 is the best first rifle to get, cheap enough rifle and cheap ammo.

Wouldn't surprise me, you can't even carry pepper spray here. I think in your state you might be able to, though.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Perhaps you misunderstand what I meant. By "repeating rifle" I meant one that has either a tubular or box magazine that holds a few cartridges. You still have to work the action, bolt or pump or lever to chamber each round.
If semi-auto rifles (one shot per trigger pull) are banned well that's just stupid but they aren't the best choice for a first gun anyway. You'll learn to shoot better(aim carefully) with something other than a semi-auto.
0 x

MelbournePrepper95

Postby MelbournePrepper95 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Perfesser wrote:Perhaps you misunderstand what I meant. By "repeating rifle" I meant one that has either a tubular or box magazine that holds a few cartridges. You still have to work the action, bolt or pump or lever to chamber each round.
If semi-auto rifles (one shot per trigger pull) are banned well that's just stupid but they aren't the best choice for a first gun anyway. You'll learn to shoot better(aim carefully) with something other than a semi-auto.

I like the idea of lining up a shot rather than just holding down the trigger anyway. But yeah, no semi-auto's here. :D
0 x

Glockman1

Postby Glockman1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:56 pm

A .22 or a .17hmr are a good starting calibre. Get good with one of those then move on up. I am partial to a good bolt action rifle...can't bet that action for accuracy.
0 x
Chance favours the prepared mind

Grey-Wolf

Postby Grey-Wolf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Gotta agree with Glockman1, 22lr bolt actions are great first guns and they require very little upkeep compared to other firearms. However make sure you buy good quality ammo I recently returned from a rather unsuccessful hunting trip because a friend of mine bought cheap 22lr cartridges around 60% would misfire and of them I would say a further 20% were duds. For a shot gun I would suggest a 410. This might start some controversy but they are decent rabit and bird guns relativley cheap and like the 22lr cheap and easy to maintain.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:06 am

I can't say agree with the .410. It's more of an experts shotgun. I have 2 of them though I'm as far from an expert as you can get.
Ammo is expensive and limited loads are available(at least it is here). 12ga is the most common, easiest to find all sorts of loads and cheapest.
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”